For some reason, spanish speaking people (or at least argentines) when we hesitate before speaking we say "ehhhhh" (you can hear an example of the use here: ehhh) which is something that might be said involuntarily . How would you translate this interjection to English? (I'm not even sure if it qualifies as an interjection or it's another kind of word).


2 Answers 2


You could try the interjection uh:

Cambridge defines it as:

the written form of the sound people sometimes make when they pause in speaking, thinking of what to say next or how to say it

Wiktionary says:


interj. Expression of confusion or uncertainty.
interj. Space filler or pause during conversation.


I would say it's an interjection. Wikipedia also calls it a "hesitation marker".

The two that came to mind for me were uh and um:

  • uh exclamation
    uk ​ /ɜː/ /ʌ/ us ​ /ɜː/ /ʌ/
    used in writing to represent the sound that people sometimes make when they are thinking what to say next:
    It's not too far - it's about, uh, five miles from here.
  • um exclamation
    uk ​ /əm/ us ​ /əm/
    used in writing to represent the sound that people make when they are pausing or deciding what to say next:
    "What do you think of this jacket?" "Um, I don't know if I like the colour." "So what did you talk about?" "Um, I don't remember."

(Cambridge Dictionary)

There are certainly others, like er, but I think these two are most common in my experience (US). I know I'd use uh as inelegantly as the man in the video used eh.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .