I've come across an exercise in a workbook of the American English. It requires to write the words given in the box next to their definitions. The words in the box are wife, rock, row, whirlpool, tear, hero. Can "pull into pieces" be similar to "tear" by meaning? Thanks


Yes. Tearing something (like cloth or paper) involves pulling it into pieces. See the verb form of "tear" in the Cambridge Dictionary here.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.