I am sorry if my description is not clear enough. You know there are certain office chairs (unless the wooden chairs or steel folded chair) whose back can bend backwards when you lean against them. Is there a special term for this feature? How to call such chairs?

  • 2
    Reclining chairs or recliners?
    – fixer1234
    Jul 31, 2018 at 3:47
  • 1
    You wouldn't find an office chair being called a recliner. The generic term is more likely an executive or ergonomic chair, one that has an adjustable back. But I'm not giving this as an actual answer because I'm not totally confident that there isn't a better term. Jul 31, 2018 at 4:10
  • The term tilt-back chairs is used sometimes, but it doesn't seem to refer to office chairs.
    – stangdon
    Jul 31, 2018 at 11:42
  • Other possible terms that get some hits are "flex[ible] back", "flexback", "tension[ed] back", "springback", or "spring-loaded back", but I don't see an industry standard term. Jul 31, 2018 at 23:00

1 Answer 1


A recliner generally refers to an armchair (or sofa or couch) that can recline, and often has a footrest that lifts up as the back goes back.

However, a reclining office chair is an office chair that allows the person sitting in it to lean back, and have the backrest lean back with them.

These are generally high end office chairs, and may be called executive chairs, but not all executive chairs have that feature.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .