I heard a strange word in a movie description several times:

Mitch looks pooled-eyed

This describes the character Mitch looks unhappy and frustrated after his phone call was cut short. As additional information, here is an audio clip (via an audio sharing site).

And in another scene:

Steve: A lot of people showed up after the service, huh?

Walt: Yeah, well, I suppose they heard there's gonna be a lot of ham. I'll go down in the basement and get some chairs.

Steve: Oh I can do that, Dad.

Walt: No, I need them now, not next week.

Narrator: Tubby, 40 something Steve looks pooled-eyed.

The word here supposedly means the same as the first scene. Here's an audio clip. I can't find a dictionary that shows any of these words is an adjective meaning "frustrated". Does "pooled-eyed" have this meaning? Or is it another word? What does it mean exactly?

  • is it really 'pooled' eye?
    – Maulik V
    Aug 1, 2018 at 5:48
  • If I were to guess, I'd relate it to tears pooling in one's eyes. I'm not 100% sure those are the words used in the clip, though. Aug 1, 2018 at 9:05

1 Answer 1


It is "put out" not "pooled eyed"

Mitch looks put out.

The second clip says

Tubby, forty-something Steve looks put out"

The adjective "put out" means "taking offence" or "indignant", or perhaps "confused". It comes from using a phrasal verb in a passive form. To "be put out" means to be upset.

Jay was really put out when I told him there were lots of mistakes in his report, but I wasn't trying to be rude, I just wanted to help

  • 1
    This! I kept looking where "pulled-eyed" could come from (fun fact: it's apparently a racial slur in Portuguese...), but "put out" fits pretty well. Aug 1, 2018 at 9:51

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .