I am writing some computer code and I want to find the equivalent of the words above and below for the right and left, so I want a precise word rather than a whole sentence / expression. Something people would write if they use the telegraph.

I.e. "InserNodeAbove" sounds correct to me but "InserNodeRight" does not sound very nice to me. Would "rightwise" be the equivalent?

  • 1
    What is wrong with "InserNodeOnRight"? – Peter Shor Aug 4 '18 at 11:33
  • Note that in both cases you have omitted the letter "t" in the word "insert". – chasly - supports Monica Mar 25 '19 at 11:44

Left wise sounds rather odd. Having expressions like 'on/ to the left side' and '-hand side' I'd suggest a concise 'to the left' over 'on the left'; this one sounds and looks good to me.

Tad-ah: InsertNode.ToTheLeft


Since your function acts with respect to an "anchor" node (to the left of it, to the right of it) you could also use verbs to express a similar idea:



P.S. That said, the idea of nodes being to the left or to the right is strange to me. I've never encountered it.


"InserNodeAbove" sounds correct to me but "InserNodeRight" does not sound very nice to me.


It sounds perfectly all right to me - I have no problem understanding it. It's not like you are writing a novel or need strict grammar.

Presumably in your documentation/comments there will an explanation of each of these terms.

B Note that the term "rightwise" is (a) archaic and (b) does not mean what you think it means.

rightwise - “righteous, just; right, justifiable” https://www.yourdictionary.com/rightwise)


You probably mean, "rightward".

adverb Also right·wards. toward or on the right.

adjective situated on the right. directed toward the right. https://www.dictionary.com/browse/rightward

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.