I am learning English and for that purpose (among other things) I want to read a few novels. I have made a list of novels selected by personal taste, but since I am still learning, I am afraid that some of them (written by overseas or 19th century authors) may be not suitable for me (since, at this stage, I want to focus in modern British English). Could you confirm/discard if they are written in a suitable English for learning? I hesitate about the following books:
- J.M. Coetzee. Elizabeth Costello.
- S. Rushdie. Midnight's Children.
- R.K. Narayan (several novels).
- E.M. Forster. Howards End.
- F.M. Ford. Parade's End.
- J. Galsworthy. The Forsyte Saga.
- Henry James (several novels).
EDIT. Following the moderator's suggestion, please forget the list, and I will restate the question as follows. Could you suggest me a (minimum) "safe" date for a novel to be useful for my purpose?