Is there a name for a construction where a verb has different meanings for different parts of its compound object?

For example:

"John likes to make friends, and paper airplanes."

I'm not sure this is strictly grammatically correct, I understand it's used more for humour than clarity or correctness.


A zeugma.

She left in a huff and a taxi

is a modern version of the classic example

She left in a huff and a sedan chair

According to Wikipedia there is a related idea of a syllepsis; A zeugma being a specialised form of syllepsis.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .