I'm referring to this:

picture of a woman with long hair

At first, I thought they could be called bangs.

But according to Google it's only the head above the forehead:

a fringe of hair cut straight across the forehead.

So what's the correct way of calling this part of the hair?

If there isn't a specific term, what would be the most natural way to call them?

For example, to be used in a sentence like this:

Her __ curved inward, cradling her cheeks.

  • I've added the dialect tags back in which were edited out, since the question may elicit words that are not used in all dialects, and the terminology tag since this question might elicit words that are specific to a particular domain. – Tᴚoɯɐuo Aug 9 '18 at 15:12

The specific portion which you are pointing out of Bipasa Basu is informally called flick(s) (informally). If the flick is on one side, then you say side flick.

Flick is also a noun: e.g....a flick of a paintbrush.

He had straight sandy-coloured hair which was parted on the left with a flick of hair across his forehead, and a full bristly blond beard with a small moustache that was barely noticeable. link

Dreamweaver poetry With a flick of hair over her eyes, She carves intently a mysterious art. Like a song following the rhythm, Fireflies move around her heart. She drives her imagination , Beyond the scope of my senses. It's a gift of the grace, To build without fences.

He has a chubby hairless face, generally squinted eyes and black hair that is neatly combed and parted to each side with a flick of hair sprouting from the top.

  • In what part of the English-speaking world have you heard this used? – Tᴚoɯɐuo Aug 9 '18 at 14:46
  • What most of those photos have in common is a side parting with the hair flicked across the face. – Tetsujin Aug 9 '18 at 15:16
  • 3
    I would have to say this is an uncommon word specific to hairdressing. I have never heard it used this way before, it's not in any dictionary I've consulted, and if I saw "Her flick curved inward, cradling her cheeks" without context, I would have no idea what it meant. – stangdon Aug 9 '18 at 15:31
  • 2
    I have seen and heard "flick" used in reference to hair as a verb, not a noun. – John Feltz Aug 9 '18 at 17:31
  • 1
    Please take a moment to read the Stack Exchange Code of Conduct. Tᴚoɯɐuo has asked a sincere question: in what part of the English-speaking world is this term used? "You can find it on the internet" is not an answer, which is presumably why Tᴚoɯɐuo tried to rephrase the question more than once. There is no reason to call anyone names or to behave in a less-than-friendly manner. – snailboat Aug 9 '18 at 17:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.