I was having an email conversation with friends about glyphosate. One friend consistently misspelled the word as glyphosphate*. In order to bring this to his attention, I replied, "It's spelled glyphosate, not glyphosphate." After typing this, my phone auto-corrected glyphosphate to glyphosate. I then had to manually type in the extra letters to misspell the word in the manner that my friend had been misspelling it.

Is there a word that would describe this action succinctly? I had in mind,

I had to uncorrect the spelling of glyphosate,

but the meaning is unrelated to this scenario, and incorrect is only used as an adjective.


1 Answer 1


The word "ain't" is proscribed by many authorities.

  • Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think that it fits what I'm looking for. I think I see where there is some confusion. In the backstory I provided, I was proscribing my friend's misspelling of the word. But that's not the action I'm trying to find a verb for. I'm trying to find a verb to explain un-doing the auto-correct from the correct spelling to the incorrect spelling.
    – mathewb
    Aug 20, 2018 at 14:26

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .