I was having an email conversation with friends about glyphosate. One friend consistently misspelled the word as glyphosphate*. In order to bring this to his attention, I replied, "It's spelled glyphosate, not glyphosphate." After typing this, my phone auto-corrected glyphosphate to glyphosate. I then had to manually type in the extra letters to misspell the word in the manner that my friend had been misspelling it.

Is there a word that would describe this action succinctly? I had in mind,

I had to uncorrect the spelling of glyphosate,

but the meaning is unrelated to this scenario, and incorrect is only used as an adjective.


The word "ain't" is proscribed by many authorities.

  • Thank you for the suggestion, but I don't think that it fits what I'm looking for. I think I see where there is some confusion. In the backstory I provided, I was proscribing my friend's misspelling of the word. But that's not the action I'm trying to find a verb for. I'm trying to find a verb to explain un-doing the auto-correct from the correct spelling to the incorrect spelling. – mathewb Aug 20 '18 at 14:26

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.