What do we call "a person who blames others for things they didn't do"?

I searched on the web, and found the word "blamer". I know what it means, and I don't find it fits the definition I wrote.

Update: It can mean "false accusation" and/or "When somebody says that another did something (wrong) when they haven't".


There is a related word, scapegoat, which means:

scapegoat (noun) A person who is blamed for the wrongdoings, mistakes, or faults of others, especially for reasons of expediency.

From this word, we have the word scapegoater, which means:

scapegoater one that makes a scapegoat of something or somebody

While scapegoat is fairly common in the vernacular, I think scapegoater is a less common word. However, it fits what you are looking for.

Here's a usage of it in print:

Tolerance and independent thinking are essential to a democratic form of government, but the scapegoater cannot think straight.

(Charles Henry Scherf, Do You Own Thinking, 1946)

Another book about hostilities in the workplace says:

A scapegoater is one who transfers blame to persons or groups, who are not necessarily guilty, in order to focus attention away from those who are actually responsible — sometimes from themselves.

(J.A. Wambach & R.W. Fuller, Battles between somebodies and nobodies: stop abuse of rank at work and at home, 2008)

| improve this answer | |
  • Tasneem: I'm glad you like this answer, but you should wait a little longer before accepting. Here's why. – J.R. Aug 19 '18 at 21:02
  • Ok, I will wait. And, I will read the article. Thank you for the answer, by the way. – Tasneem ZH Aug 19 '18 at 21:04

I found imputer.


imputer (plural imputers)

One who imputes.

Impute, as a verb, means:

  1. to attribute or ascribe (something dishonest or dishonourable, esp a criminal offence) to a person

Note: I am not a native speaker, so I can't comment on how commonly it's used.

| improve this answer | |
  • It's an obscure word – but so is the word that I proffered. It's still a good find, though. – J.R. Aug 20 '18 at 10:37

It's also called framing or malicious slander. Malicious slander is the attempt to discredit someone. You can be sued for doing so.

| improve this answer | |
New contributor
Carol Rafferty is a new contributor to this site. Take care in asking for clarification, commenting, and answering. Check out our Code of Conduct.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.