Is there any idiom in English likening a person reaching adulthood and moving out of his/her parents' house to a bird leaving the nest made by its parent birds? If not, what idiom in English would commonly describe a young adult moving out of his/her childhood house (the house where he/she was born and grew up)?


A grown-up child leaving the parental home is sometimes said to 'fly the nest'. The initial loneliness sometimes felt by parents after their children have left can be called 'empty nest syndrome'.

fly the nest


When children fly the nest, they leave their parents' home to live on their own.

When their children had flown the nest, they moved to a cottage in Dorset.

Fly the nest

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    or 'left the nest' – John Feltz Aug 28 '18 at 19:48
  • 1
    @JohnFeltz - Or 'kicked out of the nest,' if it's done with some coercion. – J.R. Aug 29 '18 at 15:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.