I am currently taking a look at some presentations my company made on several features of our software, and I came across several sentences saying that "the software shows a red/blue/whatever color hatch to indicate something", meaning that the software shows a pattern of fine lines.

Simply judging by intuition, this sounded not quite right for me; my impression was that:

  • the word "hatching" was the most common noun to describe such a pattern;
  • "hatch" on the other side could be used as an adjective ("hatch pattern"), but was generally not common as a noun that designates such a pattern.

A quick research on merriam-webster shows that "hatching" indeed means "the engraving or drawing of fine lines in close proximity especially to give an effect of shading; also : the pattern so made". But the entry for "hatch" shows, among other definitions, the meaning of "an instance of hatching" or "line; especially : one used to give the effect of shading".

So my question is: is either "hatching" or "hatch" preferable as a designation for "a pattern of fine lines used for shading", or are they completely interchangeable? Is it common to speak of "a hatch" when meaning such a pattern?


A simple search will answer your question

What Is Hatching?

Your word


is not used in this way to describe a pattern, however

Hatch Pattern



Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.