Is there a one word (intransitive verb) for the phrase "to be upset"?

  • I will be upset
  • I will ___? (cry?)

When my son doesn't want to do something I usually say, "You upset me", but I want to have another option that expresses sorrow and disappointment together.

  • 1
    Have you checked synonyms of upset? thesaurus.com/browse/upset
    – user29952
    Sep 12, 2018 at 5:44
  • 1
    Is it strictly necessary that what you're looking for be a one-word phrase? What's wrong with a longer expression that's more idiomatic? Sep 12, 2018 at 5:49

3 Answers 3


Generally, when the word upset is used we default to thinking of anger. Single words used to express behaviour related to anger include fume, rage, storm, rant, and rave.

However, you mention in a comment to the question that by upset you actually mean a combination of sorrow and disappointment.

Cry is certainly behaviour that could be expressed by somebody feeling sorrow and disappointment—but since you aren't using it, it seems you are looking for something else.

I could list a long series of synonyms here, but you are talking about your son not doing something you want him to do. If you are feeling "sorrow and disappointment," it's probably because you fear for the consequences of his not doing what you've asked him to do.

Based on this, I would say:

I will worry.

This is a subtle consequence to express to a child, as it describes something internal rather than observable behaviour. But based on his empathy and intuition (and if he's old enough to understand it) it might be a more honest communication.


You can say that in many ways:

You perturb me.

You frazzle me.

You distemper me.

You distress me.

You disturb me.


Upset is a common word and you are actually asking for a synonym. Well, there are many; google it and you get it. However, another word that I may prefer is ....

I will be sad

I considered that you have a son who's quite young. So, sad should be a simple word and should convey the message straightforwardly. Indeed, a son may stop doing things that make his dad sad.

  • It is still as long as "I'll be upset". I mean something like "I will cry" but instead of cry use another word that is a synonym of "be upset". Sep 12, 2018 at 6:03
  • @SovereignSun now you changed the question! It's not crying like... I think you should be clear in asking up there.
    – Maulik V
    Sep 12, 2018 at 6:35
  • 2
    But he asked for a one-word replacement and you gave him two words that don't even mean the same thing.
    – stangdon
    Sep 12, 2018 at 12:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .