I know I could say:

I graduated in mathematics from XZ University.

But what if want to put emphasis only on the field of my study (mathematics) without specifying the university?

Could I say that?

I graduated in mathematics from (a) university.

I just want to express that I have a university education in mathematics. I know I could also say that I hold a degree but I am just curious.


You would leave "from a university" out of the sentence.

I graduated with a degree in mathematics.


I graduated in mathematics.


My (undergraduate) degree is in mathematics.

This is rather unidiomatic:

I graduated in mathematics from a university.

  • In the second sentence, is a university-level implied? – John V Sep 19 '18 at 15:38
  • Yes, because we don't specialize in secondary school, and if we're talking about a graduate degree, the usual thing to say is "I have an advanced degree in ..." – Tᴚoɯɐuo Sep 19 '18 at 15:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.