I'm talking about this:

enter image description here

The text in the photo says "digital voice announcement." But I wonder if there's another way of referring to this piece of technology. Something like digital announcement or station announcement? Without putting emphasis in the sound part?

(Note: I'm not looking for a technical term, just a common one, or one that everyone would understand.)

2 Answers 2


These things are called passenger information displays (or display systems) in most English speaking countries, including Australia (where Hurlstone Park is), Britain and the USA, where they have been used in new subway and main line rolling stock (equipment in USA) since the 1990s. The actual piece of technology in the picture is called a "dot matrix display". A lot of such systems don't use displays like in the picture, they have LCD screens (like a flat screen TV or monitor) and people just call those 'screens' or maybe "information screens". They are found in trains and buses, at stations, bus stops, airports, etc.

Passenger Information system

  • Thanks. So the shortest, most common way of referring to them is "display system?"
    – wyc
    Sep 19, 2018 at 16:05
  • 1
    Yes, but you can just say "display". The display at the end of the carriage says the next station is Hurlstone Park. Sep 19, 2018 at 16:18
  • And you'd say "car" instead of "carriage" in the US.
    – TimR
    Sep 19, 2018 at 19:42
  • In the UK you say "carriage" or "coach" about main line passenger train vehicles and "car" for those on the London Underground. Sep 19, 2018 at 19:52
  • We're "train car", "subway car".
    – TimR
    Sep 19, 2018 at 21:48

I suppose you could call that a marquee. I've never heard anyone refer to it by name, though in the US that sort of display is a fairly recent innovation. Here's someone complaining back in 2010 about the lack of such devices in San Francisco trains.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .