How can I refer to a person who is working at a job for the longest period of time.

For example, imagine there are 10 people who work at the same office and one of them, let's say Amanda, has been working there for 10 years. The duration at which the other employers have worked at the office is less than 10 years.

What is the proper way to say that Amanda has been working more than the others at the office.

Is there any adjective I can use? For example can I use "oldest" in this sense? (However, this question is nothing to do with age for sure)

This example environment can be changed to a neigborhood,an apartment building, a society, an organization

  • 1
    Amanda has worked there longer than any of the other employees. – user3169 Sep 30 '18 at 0:12

Actually, the expression changes depending on the circumstance, in a job

the most senior person

is often used to refer to the one there longest, but can also mean the highest in the heirarchy.


often gets used, but can be confused with chronological age, usually additional context is provided.

oldest tenured employee
longest serving employee
oldest resident in the apartment complex, first moved in...

  • 3
    We can also say this employee has seniority over the other employees, although this is usually in the context of who receives promotions or other benefits not based on merit. – Andrew Sep 30 '18 at 0:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.