This is a word choice question-describing a minor mishap when a person is drinking any liquid.

While I was sipping some of my coffee out of a cup, I misdrank it, and then it leaked out of my mouth causing some coffee to spill on the floor.

I don't think you can find this in a grammar book or any english book because what they teach are all basics and academic. Anyway, is this how natives describe a situation when some coffee out of a cup accidentally leaked and goes to the floor.

  • 4
    I don't think "misdrank" is a word. – Kreiri Oct 1 '18 at 13:03
  • 1
    I've never heard 'misdrank' before. I'm not sure what kind of mishap is being described here. I use 'inadvertently quaffed' to describe when the drink misses my mouth, but I don't think anyone outside of Discworld fandom is likely to understand it. – ssav Oct 1 '18 at 13:53
  • I just made 'misdrank' up... it's from a prefix mis-(like misstep), when I google it, there is a result but not to the same context I am trying to say. Anyway, could you correct it? *inadvertently quaffed sounds too slangy... – John Arvin Oct 1 '18 at 14:17
  • 1
    Note that "to quaff" does not mean that - it means to drink deeply, such as "I quaffed several beers in a few minutes." – Weather Vane Oct 1 '18 at 15:12
  • 1
    Unfortunately, misdrank doesn't work. Quaff is not slangy at all. I drank it messily or something like that. – Lambie Oct 1 '18 at 23:11

The word slobber means

to allow saliva or food to run out of the mouth.

The sentence can be

While I was sipping my coffee I slobbered, causing some to spill on the floor.

I simplified the detail about the cup which doesn't need to be mentioned.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Thx a lot, this is a handy sentence for much better communication. – John Arvin Oct 1 '18 at 15:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.