I'm wondering how I can refer to a plural noun in the following sentence.

I lost my glasses. I need to get one.

(Talking about a single pair of glasses)

Since "glasses" is plural, I assume one doesn't suit here, but I don't know any appropriate alternative.

  • 2
    You need to get new ones. – ЯegDwight Oct 5 '18 at 11:18
  • Or I need to get some more, or a new pair. – Michael Harvey Oct 5 '18 at 11:28

You could say:

I need to get some.

I need to get new ones.

I need to get a pair.

Either refer to them as plural, since you established them as a plural, or explicitly refer to the pair as a new singular item.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.