I'm referring to these kind of structures (the part where customers put their plates and eat).

enter image description here

enter image description here

At first, I thought about "group tables," but now that I think of it, they could also be called bars? Or maybe there's another more common or accurate term?


In AmE that is called a counter.

Would you like to sit at a table or at the counter?

The entire assemblage, including the preparation area, is "a sushi bar".

I suppose there may be some speakers who would say:

I'd like to sit at the bar.

but I've never heard that phrase used in sushi-style restaurants in the US, though it is very common in other kinds of restaurants that serve primarily alcoholic beverages at a bar but also serve food there.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.