enter image description here

I saw the verbs flake off and peel is used for these situations but I would like to ask how to inform a painter or someone about the problem in different and unambiguous ways.

For example, which one is better?

The ceiling is flaking off / peeling.


The paint on the ceiling is flaking off/ peeling.

And can I use "pull down" and "fall off/down" such as

The paint on the wall pulls down.

The paint on the ceiling falls down/ falls off.

  • Forget pull down and fall off. Things or people fall off places. Only a can of paint can fall off a table, for example. – Lambie Oct 9 '18 at 23:13
  • 1
    What's in your image looks like wallpaper, not paint. – Laurel Oct 9 '18 at 23:16
  • 1
    @Lambie Not really, except they both can "peel". Wallpaper doesn't really flake, but it can rip. And paint doesn't rip. – Laurel Oct 10 '18 at 2:44
  • @Laurel That is simply not true. Wallpaper can peel away from or off the wall and peel off the wall, just like paint. See for yourself: facebook.com/theguardian/posts/… – Lambie Oct 12 '18 at 13:15
  • And flake off: google.com/… – Lambie Oct 12 '18 at 13:15

The phrasal verbs are "flake off" and "peel off". "Flack off" is incorrect.

The original post's illustration shows "peeling" paint. "Flakes" are much smaller. "Peeling" implies that the pieces are long enough that you can pull on them to remove more material.

  • 1
    flaking off and peeling is right. The paint is peeling. No need for off, but it isn't wrong. – Lambie Oct 9 '18 at 23:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.