When pressing on the the double squares on the right upper corner of browsers (Chrome, Explorer, Firefox etc.) or office word, power-point, or almost any window in computers, can I refer it as expanding the window?

"Please, expand the screen by clicking on the double squares" would be correct?

I'm not sure if this is the verb used to describe what I mentioned.

enter image description here


Yes, you can use "expand". But that's a broad term. The specific term for this action is maximize. This is when the window "expands" to cover the entire screen.

Two related terms are minimize and restore. When you shrink and hide the window by clicking the _ button, you minimize the window. When it's hidden and you bring it back, that's called restoring the window.

By the way, I call them windows, not screens. I'm not sure if "screens" is acceptable. Also, the "on" is not necessary, and, as @amI points out, the double squares "restore down" (also "restore" or "unmaximize") the window. The single square maximizes the window. So if you want to maximize the window, you could say

Please, maximize the window by clicking the single square

Anyway, these are the terms I know as a Windows user. You can see their usage in these pages:

| improve this answer | |
  • 1
    On MacOS, if you double-click anywhere in the title bar, the window "expands" to fill the width of the screen. But if you click the "maximize" icon, it goes into "full-screen mode." So yes, I think there is a difference between an expanded window and a maximized window. – Ringo Oct 21 '18 at 1:50
  • Would you like to write that up in an answer? – Em. Oct 21 '18 at 1:52
  • My answer would say pretty much what you're saying. "Expand" is a broad term that is not incorrect. "Maximize" is a more accurate term. – Ringo Oct 21 '18 at 2:03
  • "when you it shirks and hides" was probably intended to be something like "when you shrink a window to hide it". ("shirk" is a verb, and "hide" can be used intransitively, but both seem to be anthropomorphizing the window and the grammar is awkward in the original phrase too.) – Mark S. Oct 21 '18 at 3:04
  • but it's a single square that you click to maximize. Clicking the double (overlapping) squares on a maximized window will 'restore down' to its original size. – amI Oct 21 '18 at 7:11

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.