If someone, previously named John Smith, now changed to Mohammed bin Usman, is there a word to describe such a person?

  • Your question is not clear. His new name would be considered a "legal name change", but that alone doesn't change a person. It seems like you are asking what else changed, but we don't know the person at all.
    – user3169
    Commented Oct 30, 2018 at 0:44
  • @user3169 in which part of the question have you got the impression that something else except the name also changed?
    – athos
    Commented Oct 30, 2018 at 0:47
  • @user3169 I think he wants to know what "someone who changed his/her name" is called. Like, someone who killed is called a killer. I don't think there's such a word in English.
    – Albert
    Commented Oct 30, 2018 at 0:49
  • I know what you are asking. But you can't "describe" a person using their name, other than to say it changed (which you already stated). So what are you looking for?
    – user3169
    Commented Oct 30, 2018 at 0:56
  • @user3169 of course we can describe a person by something he did, as Albert said, someone killed can be called a killer, someone who won a tournament can be called a champion.
    – athos
    Commented Oct 30, 2018 at 1:03

1 Answer 1


I don't think there is an actual noun for such a thing. The only way I can think of to describe these people is to use a verbal phrase:

Would all of the people who have been renamed please move to the other side of the room.

From Merriam-Webster's definition of rename:

: to give (someone or something) a new name
// renamed the street in honor of the late mayor
//  . . . a 16-year-old who left the Orthodox life a year ago. He has renamed himself Adam to cement the break . . .
— Ron Kampeas
// The program was actually a relatively simple . . . script that renames files on your hard drive . . .
— Michael J. Miller

You could coin a new term such as new-names, and it might even be understood, but it would certainly not be in common (or even uncommon) use.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .