Is there a name for a person who has 2 or 3 citizenships?

It should be an adjective or noun that can describe this person.

By intuition, I guess that if there is, for the one who has 2 citizenships the name should start with the prefix "bi-…", while for the one who has more than 2 citizenships the name should start with "multi-…"

1 Answer 1


As it happens, I have citizenship in two different countries. In other words, I have dual citizenship. That makes me a dual citizen.

According to Merriam-Webster, even if I were a citizen of three or more countries, I would still have dual citizenship, though Wikipedia thinks I would have multiple citizenship.



  • Thank you for your answer ^1+) So it can be used also as an adjective? Would it be "Are you a dual citizen?" or "Are you a multiple citizen?" Just pay attention that I asked for name of a person who holds 2 or more citizenships, that says it should be a noun or an adjective for a person. ("dual citizenship" doesn't describe the person( Nov 1, 2018 at 2:27
  • Yes, a person can be a dual citizen or a multiple citizen -- which I actually did mention in the answer ;)
    – fjack
    Nov 1, 2018 at 2:40

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .