I have a number of curves of drug concentration vs. time. The time scale, on the horizontal (x) axis, is normal, while the concentration scale is logarithmic (the equidistant notches say 1000 ng/mL, then 10 000 ng/mL, and then 100 000 ng/mL).

In Russian, the curves are called "logarithmicized curves" (логарифмированные графики индивидуальных концентраций препарата) in my document because of this. What do I call them in English?

Log-scaled curves?

I looked up logarithmic curve - but it's a curve described by a logarithmic equation, while in my document the curves do not look like that at all - they go in zigzags, up and down, not in nice rounded lines in one direction, like logarithmic curves.

  • You can call them logarithmic curves. – Weather Vane Nov 7 '18 at 9:52
  • I think in the pharma studies literature they're known as "log-scale concentration graphs" or "log-concentration graphs". – Tᴚoɯɐuo Nov 7 '18 at 10:30

Because only one axis has been scaled logarithmically, these plots are referred to as semi-logarithmic plots. Depending on which axis is logarithmicized, it's either a log-lin plot (if the y-axis is scaled) or a lin-log plot (if the x-axis is scaled). In your case, it's the former.

Note that in English we tend to talk about the entire graph, not just a single curve.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.