I need a noun to describe a person taking part in a chat conversation. Using dictionary I found interlocutor, but it is so rare and formal.

  • When you say chat are you referring to the chat section of Stack Exchange or a similar site? – Jason Bassford Nov 12 '18 at 9:49
  • @Jason Bassford Yes, a chat for a web service – Alexander Madyuskin Nov 12 '18 at 9:51
  • 1
    chat partner might do. – Michael Rybkin Nov 12 '18 at 9:51
  • Any suggestions with co-? – Alexander Madyuskin Nov 12 '18 at 9:54
  • 1
    Synonym is the best choice for words with similar meaning questions. – Ms.Tamil Nov 12 '18 at 11:16

The only word in English I can think of that's synonymous with the word interlocutor would be conversational partner (that's more like a compound noun, actually, rather than a word) as there are really no other simple, daily words for that idea. But whether conversational partner will suit your needs largely depends on the context you're going to use it in. It'd be great if you could provide an example sentence with a series of blanks for the missing word. Normally, though, you would probably describe that kind of person as just the person you're speaking with or as the person you're having a conversation with.

If you're talking about things like Internet chat rooms, then one simple way to refer to the person you're chatting with would be your chat partner.


As clarified in a comment to the question, this is related to chat groups similar to those here on Stack Exchange.

A common word would be a (chat) participant. (Simply "one that participates.")

Its use is not restricted to people on chat groups (or even people talking)—but interlocutor is also used in more contexts than just chat groups.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.