What is the word for "a disk-shaped rubber plate that fits between metal parts to prevent leakage of fluids"?

Such a plate has a hole in the middle to allow for the passage of a fluid. The plate's function is to prevent sideways leakage that would otherwise happen when two pieces of metal pipes come together. For example, the plate found in a flush tank that prevents water from leaking down through the hole at the bottom of the tank while the tank button is unpressed.


I think the word you are looking for is gasket.

From NOAD:

gasket (n.) a shaped piece or ring of rubber or other material sealing the junction between two surfaces in an engine or other device.

A gasket can be as simple as a rubber ring, or it can be a very specialized shape that is designed for one particular engine or pump.

This is a gasket kit for a motorcycle engine:

enter image description here

| improve this answer | |


washer noun wash·​er | \ˈwȯ-shər, ˈwä-\ Definition of washer 1 : a flat thin ring or a perforated plate used in joints or assemblies to ensure tightness, prevent leakage, or relieve friction 2 : one that washes especially : WASHING MACHINE


I do quite a lot of work putting together furniture. The directions frequently call for the use of a "washer" so I was familiar with this word immediately. However, I looked it up and inserted a definition and source in the hopes that this is the correct way of responding to a question.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.