I wonder if there is single word in English that is the version of "anachronism" with "time" replaced with "occasion". I recall that I saw such a word somewhere; but I am not really sure.

To supplement, as far as I can tell the word "anachronism" describes (roughly speaking) occurrences in a wrong time. I would like to know a word that describes occurrences in a wrong occasion. For example, one wears a suit to sleep.

  • I do not understand your question. So you mean: anachronism is to time as occasion is to [x]?
    – Lambie
    Nov 20, 2018 at 20:50
  • @Lambie, Hi, thanks for feedback. I added an example to clarify.
    – Yes
    Nov 20, 2018 at 20:53
  • I think you mean "anachronism". Only one "r".
    – Jay
    Nov 20, 2018 at 20:57
  • Anachronism is thing in the present that comes from the past. It is out of place,historically. What you know describe though is a bungled act. :)
    – Lambie
    Nov 20, 2018 at 21:23

2 Answers 2



incongruous, adjective

uk /ɪnˈkɒŋ.ɡru.əs/

us /ɪnˈkɑːŋ.ɡru.əs/ ​

unusual or different from what is around or from what is generally happening:

"The new computer looked incongruous in the dark book-filled library."

"It seems incongruous to have a woman as the editor of a men's magazine."


A possible phrase is out of place.

Hiking boots are out of place at a formal dance.

Though it is not a noun, like anachronism. I'm not sure there's a word for "an out of place thing", except perhaps incongruity, to borrow from the answer by Duckisaduckisaduck which offers incongruous.

Another possibility which comes close is impropriety, which refers to something that is wrong for the occasion, a breach of decorum. But it's a value judgment, unlike anachronism, which is based in fact, not values.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .