Is it correct to read mixed fraction 35 466/635 as ' thirty five and four hundred sixty six over six hundred thirty five'? I know we can read it as thirty five and four hundred sixty six six hundred thirty fifths. But practically it is not possible. Thank you.

  • There is no correct way to read something like this. Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 19:25
  • @Jason Bassford Then how do English speakers read mixed fractions? For example, when teaching students mixed fractions, how to read them?
    – ramanujan
    Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 19:41
  • 1
    @ramanujan Both of those are acceptable ways to read any fraction. It's just personal preference.
    – Andrew
    Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 21:14
  • 1
    @ramanujan For example, I can read 1/4 and say one quarter, a quarter, a fourth, or one fourth. There isn't only one correct way of vocalizing the fraction. Commented Nov 22, 2018 at 21:29
  • 1
    @ramanujan My point is that just like regular fractions, mixed fractions can be read in multiple ways. It can even be converted into a decimal for ease (35.73)—assuming somebody can do that in their head. Commented Nov 23, 2018 at 3:29

1 Answer 1


For larger mixed fractions, such as in your example, where reading the numbers in full results in a sentence so long that it doesn't easily convey that the number is a fraction, some people will simply read it as:

Thirty five and four-six-six over six-three-five

Since the phrase either side of over is relatively short, this is usually clearer.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .