I want to find a more professional word for "drain cover" as illustrated below. What is this called by the workers or manufactuers?

enter image description here


A drain cover is a cover with holes in it or a grating used to cover a water drain. It allows the drainage but in the same time it prevents bigger objects to be flushed in the drain.

  • What do you want to know? What is confusing you? – Jasper Nov 26 '18 at 2:35
  • Maybe it's the word manhole cover that you're looking for? en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manhole_cover – Michael Rybkin Nov 26 '18 at 2:40
  • 1
    A drain cover can be very small, like what you might find in a bathtub or a washroom sink. But your picture shows the cover of a storm drain. – J.R. Nov 26 '18 at 2:46
  • @Jasper Nothing confuses me, I just want to find a more professional word. Maybe the question should be "what is it called by the workers or manufactuers?" – Zhang Nov 26 '18 at 2:48
  • 1
    The photo shows a cast iron storm grate. – amI Nov 26 '18 at 10:39

"Drain cover" is formal and professional. You might also call it a grating or a grate. If you wanted to be precise "cast iron storm drain grate".

There is variation between British and American English. The term "storm drain" is more common in American English. So "Storm drain cover". You might also note that there is quite a lot of variation in the actual design, according to how much rainfall occurs in a particular location.

|improve this answer|||||

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.