I saw two translations for this thing and I'd like to know if it's called switch or button in British English.

"She touched the ?_ and she was electrocuted."

enter image description here

  • What do you think it controls?
    – Jasper
    Dec 5 '18 at 6:45
  • An electrical circuit? Dec 5 '18 at 6:58
  • In American English, that thing in the picture would be called a light switch. I'm pretty sure it's the same for British English. Dec 5 '18 at 7:05
  • 2
    If you rock it from one position - off - to another position - on - it is a switch in BrE. A button is pressed. Dec 5 '18 at 8:18
  • 1
    Generally, you push a button but flip a switch. Of course technically they are all switches.
    – user3169
    Dec 5 '18 at 20:32

It is a (light) switch in Br Eng, same in US Eng.

One difference is that in Britain "down" is "on", but in the USA "down" is "off". (The switches in your image would be "up" and so "off" in Britain.)

  • That depends on how the circuit controlling the light is wired up, some lights such as landing lights have more than one controlling switch one at the bottom of the stairs and one at the top meaning that any one particular switch can be on or off when it's down or up.
    – Sarriesfan
    Jan 20 '19 at 0:10

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .