what pronoun substitutes the noun -person- for this sentence, please:

ie: when a person sees something, x[the person] should call the police.

closed as off-topic by Andrew, Eddie Kal, user3169, Hellion, Chenmunka Dec 12 '18 at 9:18

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question should include more details than have been provided here. Please edit to add the research you have done in your efforts to answer the question, or provide more context. See: Details, Please." – Andrew, Eddie Kal, user3169, Hellion, Chenmunka
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • "he", "she", or "they". But you should add more detail to the question to explain why this is confusing. – Andrew Dec 5 '18 at 22:22

Typically, it's ('singular') they. It's not everywhere accepted, so in some manuals 'he or she' is recommended instead, especially for formal usage.


  • 1
    'he or she' are not enough nowadays: you've got to add 'it'. There is much to be said in favour of the concise and humorous 's/h/it', don't you think, because it does happen... it IS happening. – user58319 Dec 6 '18 at 0:23

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.