I am looking for a proper word that define a location or an area between centre point and edge point of a plain/ place.

Centre of the forest ............ (What?) of the forest .............. Perimeter/ edge of the forest.

I had come to a dictionary but still I can not get the definition. (https://www.macmillandictionary.com/thesaurus-category/british/the-outer-parts-of-objects-or-spaces)

Would you suggest some words for that?

  • Probably a job for a thesaurus, starting with something like "inside". Words will vary depending on the object being described. For example, for a forest you might use "interior", in water "depths", in a building "bowels", etc. There are also some technical words for different parts of a wheel. – ralph.m Dec 6 '18 at 22:28

Interior could be an option, though it draws a distinction from perimeter more than it does from center (i.e., the center is located in the interior).

See noun definitions 8 and 11 https://www.dictionary.com/browse/interior

  • In the same way, “surrounding area” distinguishes the area from the center and not the perimeter. Strange there isn’t a common word that does both (well, that I can think of!) – ColleenV Dec 6 '18 at 16:59

That part of the forest is called "the forest".

The "center" is often called "the heart".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.