Let's say you have to pay an amount, and you can pay it in separate parts, what's the word to describe that? I'm sure there's a right word for this but I just can't put my fingers on it.

  • Are you making most of the payments before receiving the product, or after receiving the product? – Jasper Dec 18 '18 at 7:37
  • If you pay for some of it in cash and the rest with credit, then you are making partial payments. That's something different from the instalments mentioned in the answer. It depend on the exact scenario behind your question. – Jason Bassford Dec 18 '18 at 14:13

The phrase is "pay in installments". ("instalments" in British English)

The definition is:

a sum of money due as one of several equal payments for something, spread over an agreed period of time.

(from google)

Usage of "installments" in sentences:

We agreed to pay for the car by/in installments.

Alternatively, in British English, it can also be termed as "hire purchase".

a system by which one pays for a thing in regular instalments while having the use of it.

(from google)

| improve this answer | |
  • According to Collins, "instalments" is the British spelling, and "installments" is the American spelling. – Jasper Dec 18 '18 at 7:33
  • @AgentSquid You’re welcome, glad to be of help :) – Panda Dec 18 '18 at 10:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.