Mr James, who works for BBC, has reported on this.

What else can we use in lieu of who works for BBC? How else can we express the same meaning?

Can we say from BBC? What is the most formal version?

  • 1
    Some wordings may sound more formal than others, but I don’t think there is any such thing as a “most formal version.” – J.R. Dec 22 '18 at 12:42
  • 1
    In Britain, where the BBC is based, "BBC" is prefaced with a definite article. "The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites." – Michael Harvey Dec 22 '18 at 14:23

We can accomplish this quite simply by using a preposition like of:

Mr James of BBC has reported on this.

Although I prefer of, I think from could also work:

Mr James from BBC has reported on this.

We could also use with, especially if we supplied a bit more information about the person's role within the company:

Mr James, a journalist with BBC, has reported on this.
Ms Ellison, an auditor with the IRS, has filed a compliant.

Other prepositions might be more fitting if the nature of the affiliation is something other than employment:

Mr James, a contestant on Wheel of Fortune, has written a new book.
Mr James, a congressman with questionable ethics, is in hot water again.
Mr James, a resident for more than four years, passed away last night.

Prepositions are quite flexible and it’s therefore hard to recommend one that is always the right one to use.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.