Look I want to ask about a verb that hardly I can describe, so maybe an expert could edit this post or I'll do it after some feedback.

What is the correct verb that when I'm describing a topic (say A) for somebody and in the progress of my description I also give him information about another topic (say B) and he [I don't know what to say] gets B wrongly as A and I want to say him don't [???] get the notions switched to each other!

Hint: In my language we say don't mix these with each other.

OMG, I completely understand if you don't get what I mean.

  • 1
    "Don't mix them up" sounds good enough for me. You can also say things like "Don't mix B up with A," or "Don't mistaken B for A," too. Mar 17, 2014 at 4:38
  • @DamkerngT. Thank you, so it's really close to what we use. I just searched what you said in babylon and it's very correct. I mean the case that I wanted. Mar 17, 2014 at 4:42
  • 1
    Aw! feedback is a single word and the plural is the same!
    – Maulik V
    Mar 17, 2014 at 4:59
  • 1
    @MaulikV: Do you mean it's like Data that is the same in single and plural? Mar 17, 2014 at 5:01
  • 1
    @mok You're correct, sorry for my half-typo-half-mistake. It should be "Don't mistake B for A" as you said. Mar 17, 2014 at 5:34

1 Answer 1


I think you are looking for the verb mistaken or mistook.

mistaken (v) - Identify incorrectly

This example shall make it clear:

When I said Paul that I liked Jane and not Julie, he mistook my statement and thought I liked Julie and not Jane.

  • 1
    Thanks,I didn't get the point from the comments :) May I use mistaken in the present time? And do you agree about "mix up" with Damkerng T.? Mar 17, 2014 at 5:49
  • 1
    @mok Sure, Damkerng's comment is fine. And yes, you can use it in the present tense. Don't mistake her for her twin sister.
    – Maulik V
    Mar 17, 2014 at 6:08

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .