ring-shaped cookies

Are these pretzels? Or how can I name it correctly in English?

  • are they bread stick texture but in rings?
    – WendyG
    Commented Jan 29, 2019 at 11:37
  • As a native English speaker, I would still have to look at the package to figure out what those are. Without a package, if I needed to point them out, I'd probably just say "rings", counting on there not being other types of ring-shaped things besides these.
    – Kyralessa
    Commented Jan 29, 2019 at 12:47

2 Answers 2


I don't see the telltale signs of salt that pretzels would have, so my guess is that they are dry bread rings:

dry bread rings

But there are pretzels that are shaped like this. They are called pretzel rings:

pretzel rings


I think, generally, they would be called bagels or, if you want to be more specific, I guess you can call them Russian bagels. I know in the Russian language they are called baranki or sushki, but I don't think there is an exact equivalent English term for this type of pastry other than referring to them as either bagels or sushki. I think there is nothing wrong with saying sushki and then explaining what type of food you're talking about exactly. For example:

When I was living in Russia, I was eating sushki everyday. Sushki are a type of pastry that looks similar to our American bagels. The only difference is that they're smaller and harder than bagels.

By the way, I'm not a food expert. That's just the way I would explain it if somebody asked me what those are.

  • 1
    The scale is hard to be sure of, but they look like they have far too large a hole for bagels, and are probably too small besides. (Russian bagels appear from a quick search to be of similar size and shape to any other; they are merely baked with rye or pumpernickel.) Commented Jan 28, 2019 at 5:17

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .