What does it mean a "standard of English" in the following context?

I have to fill in a document and I really don't understand what "standard of English" means. Does it mean to a certification like IELTS, TOEFL or it's about the BrE, AmE, CaE etc.?

This is what the document says:

The language of instruction in our university is / is not English. If English is not the principal language of instruction, please state the standard of English_________________________.

closed as primarily opinion-based by FumbleFingers, Hellion, SamBC, Jason Bassford, Davo Feb 14 at 15:36

Many good questions generate some degree of opinion based on expert experience, but answers to this question will tend to be almost entirely based on opinions, rather than facts, references, or specific expertise. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Is there a period? I can't really tell what it means. – Lambie Feb 13 at 15:34
  • Yes, there is a full stop in the end of the line. – Judicious Allure Feb 13 at 15:35
  • I suspect the intended meaning is actually Please specify the status of English (given it's not the primary language of instruction, is English even relevant or useful at all at this university?). But it's inherently vague / imprecise, and that would probably still be the case if we had the entire context (the whole document). – FumbleFingers Feb 13 at 15:36
  • The entire context is an official document about going for one month to an English speaker university as a guest student. They ask in this document (only in the phrase that I showed) about the home university language. – Judicious Allure Feb 13 at 15:39
  • 1
    In that case I think it's just a stupid question (by the "English speaker university", not you). What they really care about is really nothing to do with whether or not English is the "language of instruction" at your current university - they just want to know how good your English is. But listing off any formal "certification" you might have isn't necessarily a good guide as to whether you'd be able to keep up with lectures delivered in what would be (to you) a foreign language anyway. – FumbleFingers Feb 13 at 15:49

I read "standard" as "level of competence". If you have a formal qualification in English, that could be the answer, but it could be something vaguer such as "reading knowledge but limited conversation". I think.

  • 1
    Basically, I agree but the layout of the question is confusing. – Lambie Feb 13 at 16:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.