I read a sentence in a chapter named "The Browning's version" which was:

I'm still in the lower fifth. I can't specialise until next term - that's to say, if I've got my remove all right.

According to Oxford Dictionaries, "remove" means division in British schools. But that doesn't fit here. Shouldn't there be "result" instead of "remove"?


It's an old term in English education for the process of advancing from one class to the next. It's like "passing a grade" in the American system, except (from what I can tell from old fiction) it was something people did more often at odd times of the year, rather than always the end of the year. Limited to private education, though.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy