Does anyone know what it is called when a thing have different descriptions of the same phenomena?

Some would say it would be called "paradoxical", but that would be if a thing had opposite descriptions of the same phenomena.

In this case it is not opposite, but just different or semi-opposite but not completely opposite.


You could use the word "conflicting". E.g.

"There are two conflicting descriptions of this phenomenon."

It means the descriptions differ in a significant way. They can't both be 100% true because they conflict, but they aren't necessarily complete opposites either.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.