For example, if he graduates in Physical Education and he teach it, can I put: Licensed (teaching) in Physical Education or graduate in Physical Education. Or, what do you recommend me?


The two are not the same. Being a graduate in a subject is not always a licence to teach it.

Usually the type, classification and subject of a degree would be given separately from any professional entitlement; for example:

BSc(Hons) 2.1 Physical Education, University of Blank, 2018

Qualified Teacher Status, Physical Education, Registration 23456, 2019

This would be fairly typical for the UK. Other countries' practice will vary widely.


Terms related to qualifications in teaching vary heavily between countries. If you want to refer to such qualifications in a non-English-speaking country, I would say you should attempt to translate the local term.

However, if you just want to say what their university degree was in, it's just "graduate in X", and I'm fairly sure that's consistent between English-speaking countries. You could also say they "have a degree in X", or "hold a degree in X". In most contexts, just saying "degree" refers to a bachelor's degree.

  • I got it, but for example here in Colombia there is a career called lisenced in Pysical education, it means that the person will be able to teach it, without another degree.So in that case, how can I translate to English? – Maju Mar 9 '19 at 19:31
  • So, the local Spanish term doesn't include teacher, just physical education? Does it exist for other subjects, or just for physical education? If it's just for PE, I'd say "licensed physical educator", as the license in ... education could be taken to mean the license applies only to education. It seems a little weird, though, because "physical educator" isn't a thing. You could equally use "licensed teacher of physical education", which would work for subjects other than PE as well, even without "education" in the title. Some might prefer "licensed instructor in" rather than "teacher of". – SamBC Mar 9 '19 at 19:53
  • I think OP wants to say Licentiate in Physical Education. In Spanish, there is one word both for "licentiate" and "licensed": "licenciado" (a noun when it means "licentiate", and an adjective when it means "licensed"). – Gustavson Mar 9 '19 at 21:00

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.