Let's say you are describing a newly built building in your hometown. You say it is amazing:

The new building has a finesse architectural design.

An American say it is wrongly used. But an online dictionary define "finese" as: description click here. I doubt what the American said, help.

  • 1
    That definition says “finesse” is a noun. Is that how you’re using it in your sentence?
    – ColleenV
    Mar 15 '19 at 20:12
  • As an adjective...
    – John Arvin
    Mar 15 '19 at 20:49

Note that the dictionary says that finesse, with the meaning you are looking for, is a noun. It is not an adjective. If it were, it could modify design. Nor is it an adverb, which could modify the adjective architectural.

So, you could say that its architecture shows finesse, or it was designed with finesse, but you can't use finesse to modify an adjective or noun.

You can use finesse as a verb, but as a verb it usually relates to trickery and guile, or cunning evasion of obstacles and mistakes. If it shows finesse, that is saying it shows style, elegance, or the characteristics of being done well. The same is true if it was done with finesse.

  • 1
    However, you could say: The new building has a finessed architectural design. That uses the verb form—but my instinct tells me it's being used adjectivally in that sentence. (And it doesn't sound wrong to me.) Mar 16 '19 at 6:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.