I don't remember what it's called. For instance:

Robert lost his keys.

Robert is the pronoun the possessive pronoun his refers to.

I am guessing there's a technical term used by grammarians, but I have no idea what it is.

If I were to give a stab at it, I would call it the master pronoun, but that sounds just dumb.


That would be antecedent. It's fairly technical, yes. There may be other terms for it; there often are.

And Robert is a noun, not a pronoun. Pronouns have antecedents; nouns don't.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.