I was wondering if there was a specific word for this particular type of plaque/award? It's given to college graduates, to commemorate and represent their degree. I think it's mostly just called award/plaque, but I was looking for a better word to describe this particular object. Thank you!


  • 1
    What does the site www.Bode4.com call it? Mar 17, 2019 at 21:17

3 Answers 3


Interesting, I have never seen something like that here in the U.S. Usually we just get a diploma for graduating. You might call this a trophy- that’s a 3D award for something that stands up on its own- usually in the shape of a cup but not always. I think a plaque would be more flat and something you’d hang on the wall.

  • 1
    Here in the UK you get a certificate and a transcript, on hard-to-forge paper that costs a bunch to replace if you lose it. That's about it.
    – SamBC
    Mar 17, 2019 at 21:45
  • 3
    @SamBC If you obtain a PhD from the University of Cambridge, your certificate is laser printed in black and white on 80gsm paper. (A parking permit for the Engineering Labs on the other hand, has holograms and other anti-forgery devices.) Mar 18, 2019 at 7:51
  • 1
    I can see why they'd worry less about forged PhDs thank bachelor's degrees
    – SamBC
    Mar 18, 2019 at 9:23

I'd go with statue. The site is full of statues of appreciation (as they describe them).

  • Or even statuette, for a small one!
    – user45266
    Mar 18, 2019 at 3:38
  • I always think of a statue(tte) as being in the shape of a person - like an Academy Award. Maybe that’s not always the case.
    – Mixolydian
    Mar 18, 2019 at 12:45

This is called "crest" in our country. Perhaps the meaning in this context is

Crest- A distinctive device representing a family or corporate body, borne above the shield of a coat of arms (originally as worn on a helmet) or separately reproduced, for example on writing paper.

  • 1
    The definition you have quoted fits the meaning as I understand it (British English), but I would not describe the OPs photo as a crest. Mar 18, 2019 at 7:53

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .