its crazy how we speak? i have hard times sometimes speaking! Is it called seceding?

closed as off-topic by fred2, Davo, Nathan Tuggy, Hellion, RubioRic Mar 20 at 8:55

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "This question should include more details than have been provided here. Please edit to add the research you have done in your efforts to answer the question, or provide more context. See: Details, Please." – fred2, Davo
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • Welcome to ELL. @SamBC has kindly provided a good answer, but ideally you should provide much more detail with your questions, especially about the efforts you have made to find an answer yourself. ell.meta.stackexchange.com/questions/439/… – fred2 Mar 19 at 16:19

Secession is the act of part of a group separating from the wider group, and the verb is to secede. So if part of a country separates from the rest of a country, it has seceded, as a country can generally be considered a sort of group - albeit a group of territorial areas rather than a group of people.

If people, but not territory, separate from their country, that's something else. They might renounce their nationality, emigrate, or defect, all of which are distinct concepts (though someone who defects generally also emigrates).

  • I noticed you frequently use albeit in your answers. I am wondering whether it's just a personal preference. Or is the word preferable to although in certain cases? (Thank you) – Andrew Tobilko Mar 19 at 16:55
  • @AndrewTobilko: Well, it's not interchangeable with although. You can't swap it one-for-one. Sometimes it can be swapped directly for though, but not always. It's been my experience that it's not an unusual word to use for English people with certain sorts of education. – SamBC Mar 19 at 17:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.