Let’s say that i have 200 pieces of a $100 bill . And i want to bring them together in bundle. Would it be correct to say :

I need to turn bills into two bundles of 100 pieces each of a $100 bills .

  • Are you saying you have $20,000 in $100 bills?
    – Mixolydian
    Mar 20 '19 at 13:58
  • Yes i have $20,000
    – user90151
    Mar 20 '19 at 14:03
  • What does "have 200 pieces of a $100 bill" mean? Do you mean: you have 200 bills with a face value of $100? The short form of that is: I have 200 $100-dollar bills. aka banknotes.
    – Lambie
    Mar 20 '19 at 14:39
  • Yes i mean that
    – user90151
    Mar 20 '19 at 14:40
  • 1
    Note that "200 pieces of a $100 bill" literally means "one single $100 bill ripped into 200 tiny shreds," which is not what I assume you want to say. Unlike the word money, the word bill is an ordinary count noun and takes an ordinary plural without needing "pieces of". As @Lambie says, the correct form is "I have two hundred $100 bills." Mar 20 '19 at 16:41

Money is said to be put into bundles or stacks of 1,000 units each.

In the US, bundles have bands: the bands have straps around them.

Here is an official guide to creating bundles with straps for deposit with the Federal Reserve (the US Central Bank) for the different denominations (a denomination means a banknote of $10.00, $20.00, $50.00, etc.).

This is regulated by the Federal Reserve Bank and the American Banking Association.

"A strap is a package of 100 notes. All straps must contain 100 notes of the same denomination and must have only one band around them."

Federal Reserve rules for banks re bundles of cash money

Question: Would it be correct to say this?

"I need to turn bills into two bundles of 100 pieces each of a $100 bills."

Answer: I need to put 200 $100 bills into two stacks or bundles.

(or two hundred one-hundred dollar bills)

  • Is “two bundle of 100 pieces each of a $100 bills” wrong or correct ?
    – user90151
    Mar 20 '19 at 15:11
  • I believe I have already corrected you. Piece is incorrect. :) They are called bills. I have two five-dollar bills. or: I have two $5 bills. :)
    – Lambie
    Mar 20 '19 at 15:28
  • Actually i tried to use it like “ a pack of six bottles of coke”.
    – user90151
    Mar 20 '19 at 15:36
  • Please capitalize your first person pronoun. :) A six-pack of coke.
    – Lambie
    Mar 20 '19 at 15:38
  • Coke is a mass noun, bill is count noun. You can't use mass noun constructions with count nouns. The construction should be more like "a pack of cookies," since cookie is a count noun just like bill. Mar 20 '19 at 16:44

They are generally known as bundles, in my experience. In America, they are sometimes known as straps, from the special bands used to hold them together, though that might only apply to those in the standard sizes with standard coloured bands. May also be called a wad, but the precise implications of a wad of money vary between dialects. I understand that in some it specifically means a roll of paper money, rather than a bundle of flat sheets.

  • 1
    Never occurred to me before, but I suppose this is where the phrase 'to make a bundle' meaning 'to make a lot of money' comes from.
    – fred2
    Mar 20 '19 at 14:34
  • @fred2: I've always assumed so.
    – SamBC
    Mar 20 '19 at 14:35

You would normally refer a large amount of paper cash in a neat stack as, well, a "stack". If you have several stacks packaged together (like it came new from the Fed), you might hear "brick".

You must log in to answer this question.