A river is an open curve of water.

What is a name for a closed curve (e.g. a circle) of water?

For example, what is the name of the digging around castle walls, that is filled with water to prevent enemies from getting near the wall?

2 Answers 2


If a body of water is static rather than flowing then its generic name would be a lake, regardless of its shape. If it is small, it may be called a pond.

Man-made features may have names specific to their purpose, such as the moat already referred to, or a canal or a reservoir. A canal could be circular, such as a transport 'ring-road' around a city, eg in Amsterdam.

  • If a curve of water is almost a circle of water but is not completely closed then it is an "oxbow lake".
    – QuentinUK
    Commented Mar 31, 2014 at 15:18

That is called a moat:

A deep, wide ditch surrounding a castle, fort, or town, typically filled with water and intended as a defence against attack.
Oxford Online Dictionaries, s.v. moat

In other contexts it has no particular name.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .