Tell me please if the following use of the adjective is correct.

You hands are too far apart. Grab the bar narrower and chin up.

What I want to communicate is hands being closer together is better. I suspect my use of the adjective isn't correct, but I cannot come up with a more brief phrase to communicate it.


The adverb form of narrow is narrowly, and like adverbs in general it doesn't have comparative forms - so you have to say more narrowly. However, that would give you:

Your hands are too far apart. Grab the bar more narrowly and chin up.

That would probably be understood, but I wouldn't consider it idiomatic. The natural way to say it is to use more words, for example:

Your hands are too far apart. Bring them closer together and chin up.

Now, you could use narrow as a verb, and people would understand the following:

Your hands are too far apart. Narrow them up and chin up.

That is better than using narrow as an adverb, or using more narrowly, but is not as good as bring them closer together. You could also use close them up in the same way as narrow them up (that's close in its usual verb sense, not pronounced the same as close meaning near), which would be slightly more natural than narrow them up.


When it comes to weightlifting or related strength exercises, the distance between your hands when grasping the same bar is called a grip. So in body-building guides, you will see exercises like a "wide-grip bench press" or a "narrow-grip (or close-grip) bench press." If you're asking someone to change their grip, then you can use the verbs to widen or to narrow:

Your hands are too far apart. Narrow your grip and chin up.


Your grip is too wide. Narrow it and chin up.

Note that this use of grip to mean the distance between your gripping hands is somewhat jargony and specific to weightlifting.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.