Someone who has made a long journey from east to west by plane feels as if the time were several hours later than the local time.

Looking for the term which may be applied to that phenomenon (or a physiological condition as it's called in the article I'm providing a link to), I came upon "jet lag", and now I'm trying to use it to describe someone who starts yawning at daytime because of the feeling of tiredness due to jet lag. after travelling though different time zones by plane, say, from New York City to London.

What I need is the verb(s) collocating with jet lag used both as the subject and the object.

The suggestions I could so far come up with are the following:

His jet lag first manifested in a deep yawn.

His deep yawn showed that his jet lag was seriously affecting him.

His jet lag caught up with him, and he began to yawn.

By six P.M., he began to suffer from jet lag, and now he was struggling to stifle his yawns.

Would any of my suggestions work? If not, could someone possibly suggest a few alternatives?

  • They all work for me.
    – Colin Fine
    Mar 23, 2019 at 17:15
  • 1
    There is also the adjective form: jet-lagged. "He was so jet-lagged that he had to struggle to stifle his yawns." Mar 23, 2019 at 19:57

1 Answer 1


These suggestions are all reasonable. "Jet-lag" is rather like a disease, and the sort of language that you could use with an illness (like "the 'flu") also works for jet-lag.

He has jet-lag
He is suffering from jet-lag
He started to experience the symptoms of jet-lag...

There is a useful adjective form "He is jet-lagged"

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .