1) Which verbs can I use to describe correctly the web developer's activities?

I need to decribe activity when a web developer creates a site for some (small) company at first and then maintains its work and improves it regularly. Are there any one verb or two verbs together or any word combinations?

Edit: So can I answer when somebody asks: 'What exactly do you do?'

I am a web developer. I work for a small company. I code, develop and maintain their website.

2) Is there any good up-to-date vocabulary textbook for English learners in IT or any useful links about it?

  • I don't think there is a special verb for what they do. They either program or maintain (as you said). They write/design software. They also code and develop. Implement different features.
    – mosceo
    Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 19:18
  • techterms.com Have a look at the link for the IT Dictionary you are looking for. Hope it can help
    – user5267
    Commented Mar 30, 2014 at 19:34

2 Answers 2


I would recommend looking at some job offers for web developers - you'll get a good selection of the types of things they do, including the verbs they go with - and you'll be able to narrow it down to exactly the type of web developer work you mean (for instance, I personally do a lot of things that many "typical" developers might not do).

Obvious choices include: program, develop, code, (re)design (layout, database, structure), build (websites, apps), maintain, implement (features), restructure, conduct (surveys, feasibility analysis), install (sites, modules), write (code, modules), test, fix (bugs), translate (business needs into technical solutions), optimize (performance)...

As for books combining ESL & IT, the only ones I know about are "Oxford English for Information Technology", "Cambridge Professional English in Use ICT" and "Infotech: English for computer users", also from Cambridge. But most introductory books for computer science should have a good list of vocabulary in the form of a glossary at the end.


Well, there's no single term that defines that you code, design and maintain. However, the closest is webmaster which'd include maintaining and looking after the website as a whole. Also note that webmaster also looks after designing and any problem in coding. Webmaster has many roles and this term will not restrict your designation to just a web designer/developer.

If you think that webmaster is more into maintaining the website, you may just add a word web developer and this'll fulfill your purpose.

I'm a web developer and a webmaster.

Whether you want to give extra information about the size of your company, that's up to you.

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .